Tips for washing Wool Blankets.
Blankets should be treated as a delicate wool product. Wool blankets should not be washed frequently. Some manufactures recommended washing it once a year. If a blanket is placed between the sheets this will help to protect it from soil and the need to wash it more frequently.
- Immerse it in water and a mild soap.
- Place the blanket in a bathtub or a large container to submerge it completely. The temperature should be either warm to the touch or cold. Use a mild soap or a detergent specifically for wool. Do not use fabric softener.
- Let it Soak
- Allow the blanket to be submerged a couple of hours in the water. After soaking, gently wash the blanket & drain the soapy water. It should be washed with gentle massaging motions. Do not rub the fibers together or wring it out to dry, as it will deteriorate the quality of the blanket over time.
- Add clean water and gently knead the blanket again to rinse out the soap. After emptying the water again, allow the blanket to sit and drain on its own.
- Air dry the blanket out of direct sunlight. Afternoon or evening is a perfect time to lay the blanket out for drying.
Washing Wool Blanket in a Washing Machine
It is not recommended, but it can be done in a wool or gentle cycle using cold water. Eliminate harsh spinning and do not use a dryer. Hang the blanket to dry overnight.
Dry Cleaning Blankets
This is recommended for wool blankets, as they are professionals on caring for wool items.